Monday, August 11, 2014

Week - 9 UGANDA!!!!


Jebalay Buzungus!
    That's right, that was an African language, so that could mean only one thing... Yes I am in UGANDA!!  Finally, am I right?  Anways I made it here on Aug 6 and I am so excited to serve here on the equator on the other side of the world.  But first I want to talk about my last week in Taylorsville, Utah. 
     Our family got baptized!!  We were so happy to be apart of their conversion into the gospel, and it took a lot of work.  I love them all so much and it was really hard to leave them.  The baptismal service was beautiful and the spirit was so thick, that you could cut it with a butter knife.  I feel so blessed that the Lord put me in their path, because even though I helped them find the gospel, they helped me discover the pure joy of missionary work.  
       I made it to the Entebbe Airport in Uganda on the Tuesday night and I left Salt Lake on Monday morning, so you can imagine all of the blood clots I had.   I had two layovers in Dallas and in London.  It was super crazy because apparently there's this flesh eating bacteria that is taking over the west part of Africa and they pulled like 247 missionaries out of there.  In London, I ran into a bunch of Elders who said they were getting evacuated out of Liberia.  And it turns out that a good chunk of them are getting sent to Salt Lake City Central mission where I waited for my visa.  I thought it was pretty weird considering that they were leaving and I was just jumping in to the action.  But then I landed Tuesday night and met the Mission President and his wife.  Such great people, their spirit makes me want to cry the waters of baptism.  My first assignment is to be in Kajjansi, which is close to Kampala and my companion is Elder De Lisle.  He's white too, so he's keeping me somewhat sane.  But seriously, people told me that there will be a huge culture shock and I was like "Oh please do you know who I am?  I'm the tall white guy, they will LOVE me".......... nope.  People will shout at us and little kids will call us muzungus and it gets really annoying (means white people btw).  But people are so accepting of the gospel here and they are always open to hearing our message.  I love the branch that I am with and they are trying so hard to help us with missionary work because the church here is trying to get enough members to make 2 stakes because right now there is only the 1 Kampala stake.  
     I miss you all so much, keep being amazing in everything you do!!  Don't forget how cool you are.  and how much the Lord loves you!!
Elder Wilson





No comments:

Post a Comment